Monday, February 7, 2011

CHILDHOOD EXPERIENCE: Tree Climbers

January 17, 2011
CHILDHOOD EXPERIENCE: Tree Climbers
One of the best times in my childhood was during my tree climbing days.  The experience has always been with me throughout my entire life.  Anytime I notice the swaying of the tree tops with the wind I’m reminded of those days.
By the time I was old enough to experience these tree climbing ventures the elm trees had grown big and tall around the neighborhood.  My next door neighbor friend, Mikie, and I began climbing after seeing one of his older brothers  do it one day.  How we got away with it is beyond me especially from any of our parents.  I don’t recall my parents ever saying anything but had they I’m sure we would have found a way without their knowledge.  We never had any mishaps except for a few scratches here and there.
One of the most memorable experiences was high up in a maple tree in the front yard at Mikies.  He and I climbed to nearly the top on a breezy summer day and took positions in the strong fork of the tree.  It was the most exhilarating sensation to be sitting in the fork of the strong limb and literally swaying back and forth with the strong breeze.  I had never experienced relaxation like that and can’t think of anything like it in my life to this day so I remember that day and feeling when I need to relax.
Mikies older brother, who got us started in tree climbing, once made a bold statement that he was going to cross from one tree to another by going from one limb to the next tree’s limb.  Mikie and I didn’t believe he would chance it but he did.  In the evening at dinner I was sitting at the kitchen table and noticed out the window a figure crawling along the limb of one of the elm trees, in Mikies back yard, to another limb successfully.  I didn’t mention anything because I didn’t want my parents to maybe end those days of climbing so I watched silently while he accomplished what he said he would.  Lucky him because he did it right over power lines.
How any of us survived our early years still amazes me at times.
God bless and God speed
www.lifeexperiences withjim.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment