Tuesday, August 23, 2011

FINANCIAL CHALLENGE: UPDATE

Since getting my old job back in Kansas City last December I’ve still had to struggle to make ends meet.  I sat down and figured out a tight budget plan that helped me through paycheck to paycheck which included the basics of food, gas, utilities, rent, phone and car insurance.
The hardest part of my business plan was coordinating my bi-monthly payday schedule so that I would have enough cash left over from each paycheck to cover gas, phone and incidentals.  Rent was tough for the first 3-months because I couldn’t help being one or two days late since my paydays are on a Wednesday which meant $25 more.  That’s $25 I dearly needed.  Now, because of the way the calendar works, my rent can be paid ahead of the dead line giving me that additional $25.   I was behind on utilities from the get go and almost had my electric turned off twice.  I was lucky it was a hard winter and they were willing to work with me and receive whatever I could spare after I went in and explained my financial challenges.
I was denied food stamp assistance because I made $36 more on estimated salary and Missouri state allowances.  As it stands now I budget $150 per month but another $50 to $100 would be much better.  My main staples now are rice, bread and peanut butter.  My meat purchases subsist of hamburger, chicken and hot Italian sausage.  Sometimes I’ll splurge and get steak.   Pretty much, whatever I can mix in with rice.  The Salvation Army nearby has a food and bread pantry that I take advantage of.  I can utilize their food pantry once-a-month and the bread pantry once a week which I get primarily bagels and freeze in the fridge.  I usually just get what food I’m in need of at the time of my monthly visit so not to take advantage.
I had to miss my phone payment once so I didn’t have service for a week until my next paycheck which was a benefit since it put me on the coordinated budget plan that I required.  After my next phone payment my rate will drop from $50 to $45.  I changed car insurance carriers and saved about $30 per month then and now has dropped further by $7.  My utilities went from $122 (winter) to the last payment of $28 per month.  I figure utilities will range between this $28 to $40.  I try to buy most of my groceries all at once so I can take advantage of gas discounts for every $50 I purchase.  I usually get $.10 to $.15 off the gas price per gallon.
I had a windfall when the I.R.S. finally gave me a return of $1,200.  $400 of which was deducted to finally take care of back taxes.  So I was able to pay off utilities and since the hot days of summer have come purchased an air conditioner from Walmart and paid back those I owed money to.
At this time, I feel I have most everything under control.  If I could just get a $.25/hr raise, it would make about a $200 to $300 difference which would help considerably for any emergency issues but that has been a disappointing issue.  As much as I like what I’m doing and the people I work with,  It’s time to start putting applications out.
“POWER OF THE BUDGET” and living by it.
God bless and God speed
daveyenterprise@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment