Tuesday, December 21, 2010

THE DUNNIGAN DISAPPOINTMENT: Flight of the Homeless

I’m into my second week of Dunnigan life and I’m preparing again to pack up my car for the trip back to KCMO and employment.  Things just didn’t turn out as expected with the job market among some other things which I’ll explain but the last thing I ever wanted to do was go back to KC especially during the winter months and the cold. 
In my first few days it was made clear to me that my best friends place was not a permanent solution which I knew from the beginning.  As much as his place is beautiful and has a great location my intent had always been to get my own place for Ellie and I.  I appreciate my independence of living as much as anyone and knew if I could get a job this would be the best solution for all concerned parties.  The only problem was that it might take longer than I had hoped for a job which I could see wasn’t a feasible consideration to a very good friend.
His girlfriend was the greatest driving force in the matter since my friend would have said stay until you find a job and get your own place but she had justification considering my first stay the time I found myself homeless.  But this time it was a very critical situation for my friend and the last thing I want to do is disrupt my friends independent living style and to come between he and his girlfriend.  The group of towns people that I had befriended the first time seem more distant this time which I’m sure goes back to my friends’ girlfriend or feelings I’ve only come back to impose again. 
Whatever it is, I have come to realize that you have to go where the job is to be had and I’ve been given the go-ahead by my former general manager that my job is there whenever I get back.  As much as I love it out here in this part of the country I guess it could be called destiny that I go back to KC.  Maybe it’s one of those “MEANT TO BE” times.
All in all, Ellie has gotten to experience freedom without a lease and I’ve gotten to enjoy the laid back style of life in the country for a couple of weeks.  I hope to come back some day under better circumstances and preparation.
In preparation for the trip I’ve gotten gas money for the entire trip back and will have to again try to get more for hopefully a deposit on an apartment back in KC.  Right now I’ve been made an offer to temporarily stay at a co-workers daughters boyfriends place, which I’m not very excited about, and my trucker buddie says there’s an apartment available where he lives that takes pets and it’s reasonable which is ideal.  So, as much as I dread the standing out and soliciting for money, I will have to endure this challenge again and depend on the generosity of those good Samaritans out there.  I’ve been impressed with the giving spirit of these great people.
God bless and God speed

No comments:

Post a Comment