Monday, February 7, 2011

EMPLOYMENT: Financial Challenges

January 11, 2011
EMPLOYMENT: Financial Challenges
Now that I’m back to work, it’s been a financial challenge to make ends meet as I’m sure it is for many people in these times of economic strain.  I figured it would take at least a month or two before I could get back on my feet financially but am now readjusting that to maybe three months.
I’ve made two pay periods since I’ve been back to work and both were gone as soon as I cashed them and paid bills that I could.  I still owe on my utilities which I’m concerned about with the cold weather that has hit the city.  I just found out that my car insurance has been cancelled because I’ve been unable to pay since November to present.  In fact, what I thought was $114 owed turned into $245 which was a devastation.  Then they informed me that my monthly premiums would be $20 more each month thereafter so I’m checking on a better deal to better fit my budget.
I’m down to no food again so I went to apply for food benefits today to be informed that I didn’t qualify because my earnings projections were $36 over the amount for qualification.  The representative I spoke to was sorry but that by law couldn’t help me.  I had $100 stashed away for utilities that went to some basic food needs with the rest towards much needed gas to get me to the next pay period.  Utilities will have to wait until then.  Since rent is due on the 1st of the month and my company has implemented payday to be on Wednesday rather than Monday puts me a few days past the due dates and I have to pay an additional $25 late fee which would go for gas.
All in all, if I had been given the $.25 an hour raise as told when I started back to work but declined by corporate since I was a rehire, I will not have the additional $200 to $300 a month extra a month to help me with food and other emergency situations that come up.  So I will continue to feel like a circus clown juggling my financial affairs to prioritize what really needs to be paid and what gets put on hold.
POWER OF THE BUDGET:  I will continue to do this as I have for years but with more stringent priorities and sacrifice. 
I guess what really gets me down is that the only social life I have is at work and Ellie.  I haven’t been in a relationship for 7 ½ years or had a date in that time.  I, of course, miss the companionship of a partner dearly and guess I could just be with anyone but I’m not that kind of guy.  So, for now, it’s to work and home as usual until I might be in a position to someday meet that right person (I’m pretty selective).  Although I’m in this financial struggle and at times get depressed, I will continue to keep a positive outlook that one-day I’ll be able to have some type of financial freedom.
For all of those in similar depravity and financial challenge, keep hanging in and know that you’re not alone in these hard times.
God bless and God speed
www.lifeexperienceswithjim.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment