Tuesday, August 23, 2011

IT’S A SAD DAY

It’s a sad day when this country lets down its citizens in regard to employment and security.  We contract and outsource our services to third world countries because it’s more cost effective.  OKAY!  We’ve all heard it many times.  It’s called “GREED”!  For the few rich and greedy.
If you were to ask me if I’m frustrated, I would be one of many in my position to say “Hell Yes”!  I’m a professional and at 58 years old can’t utilize my experience in my field.  But, hey, I’m one of the best dish washers (server assistant) because I take pride in my work, whatever it might be but that’s not what corporate America wants.  I KNOW THAT I CAN GENUINELY OFFER A HIGHER SERVICE  but that’s not what America stands for anymore.
By law, there is no “AGE DISCRIMINATION”.  BULL FECES!  I’ve personally heard and seen it from a couple of men in my age group that have been put thru this same ordeal.  The only difference is that they have a spouse working full time compared to my lone ranger self.  I saw it first hand when 3 years ago I started putting my resume out for opportunities in my field of experience and never received any response.  When I put my applications in for any blue collar positions in retail and restaurant positions, the interviewer either deemed me too over qualified or asked me why I wanted to do such a menial job.  My reply, “BECAUSE I NEED A JOB AND PAYCHECK”. 
It took a confrontation with an employee who went out of control with the General Manager of the restaurant I currently work for to prompt a call to me at the Salvation Army where I was residing homelessly.  She requested I come to see her a.s.a.p. which was within 20-minutes with my free time.  After the interview, I asked her if I had the job and her reply was that she needed to talk to several other people before she made the decision.  Without bringing age in as an issue (which she couldn’t) she mentioned that she had reservations due to my over qualifications which I had heard so many times before.  I chalked it up as another turn down but got a call an hour later asking if I could start the next day.  As she would later confide in me that she took a chance hiring me but to this day has no regrets because of my professionalism approach to the job.  She’ll always be a blessed person in my book of those deemed worthy.  I’ve seen firsthand the chances she gives to many who are in need, fired, then given a second chance.  She’s demanding but that’s what a good manager should be to get the job done.
So, there are people out there willing to suck it up and make the sacrifices to make a buck in this economy no matter what it is.  It’s all a matter of “EFFORT, ATTITUDE, TEAMWORK AND SPORTSMANSHIP” (previous post).  E.A.T.S PHILOSOPHY
Hey! I’m just barely making it financially on a limited income but I’m the last one to complain.  I do have to find a more increased income to cover expenses that I know will be coming up to care for Ellie and any emergencies that may come up.  DAMN, I don’t have health insurance and I’m concerned there.
“IT’S A SAD DAY”
ALL I CAN SAY IS KEEP THE FAITH!  Things are meant to be!
God bless and God speed

No comments:

Post a Comment