Tuesday, December 13, 2011

GOOD DEED OF THE DAY

This morning, my co-worker and I were entering the restaurant where we are employed to start another day of work, a young man entered ahead of us.  Unknown at the time, this young man would be an interesting start to my day.
My routine when I first enter for work is to get myself a big ice tea while my co-worker times me in but this day as I turned she motioned me over to inform me that there was a homeless man that was in need of directions to the Salvation Army shelter where I had received assistance.  Everyone at work is familiar with my past association with the shelter and felt that I may be able to help him.
I became aware that the young man who proceeded us into the restaurant was the homeless person in need of help.  He informed me of his situation and that he was trying to get back to Indiana and really just needed directions to get to I-70 and a glass of water.  After I got him a glass of water I decided to give him one of my free dinner coupons that I receive once-a-month so he could get something to eat while he warmed up from the cold.
After a warm meal he asked his server to get me so he could say thank you before leaving on his way.  He thanked me for my generosity and I told him that I had been in his position and it was the generosity of others that got me back to KC and it was the least I could do to pay-it-forward.
I wished him a safe journey back to Indiana and would give him some cash but at the time I only had a couple of dollars in my wallet to last me until payday.  He told me that the meal was more than generous and that he greatly appreciated my help.  We shook hands and he left.
I hope that he met more of that generosity I had experienced on his way home.
God bless and God speed
daveyenterprise@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment