Tuesday, December 13, 2011

THANKSGIVING GENEROSITY

It was one year today, November 27, 2010, that I found myself at a south bound rest stop just North of Dunnagin on I-5.  There was a lot of motorists heading home to most likely the Sacramento area.  It would be at this rest stop that I would realize the true meaning of generosity.
I had decided to make one last ditch effort to get the remainder of the cash I needed for gas money to make the trip back to Kansas City and my confirmed employment.  I had the majority of the cash needed but also felt that any extra I could receive this day and on the journey return would go to my confirmed apartment with my former landlords.
So, with Ellie in the car and my homemade cardboard sign (“NEED GAS FOR KCMO:  HAVE EMPLOYMENT THERE”), I stood in 40 degree cloud covered weather next to my car.  I immediately started getting donations for my needy cause.  Some good Samaritans giving me change others dollars.  Anything I could get was, to me, greatly generous and appreciated.  It would all add up.  I guess you could say I was optimistic and kept the faith that I would, somehow, make whatever was needed to secure my way home and place to live.
But the greatest generosity came when a young couple parked next to my car.  The man came over to me after they both made their nature calls and asked if things were going well to my endeavor.  I told him how impressed I was with the generosity of those that had helped me so far.  He handed me what I thought was a $20 bill rolled up with what I thought might be some ones and maybe a ten.  He also handed me some munchies he and his wife had brought along for the trip back home.  After they left, I stuck my hand back into my pocket to add the wad of money to what I had already made to find out that they had given me $120.  About 15 minutes later another man came by and gave me $100.  I had spent only 45 minutes at this rest stop and made over $250. 
If anyone can be blessed, it’s definitely been me.  I had surpassed my goal for gas but also had secured most of the rent I would need for my apartment in KC.  After that short 45-minutes of generosity, I jumped into my car with Ellie and headed back to my friends place to prepare for my trip back to KC the next day knowing that I would be able to relax financially.
I will always remember and be grateful to the generous people that aided my success in getting home.  I truly have a genuine reason for being “THANKFUL”.
God bless and God speed

No comments:

Post a Comment