Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Li’l JAKE

Since I don’t have much of a social life due to my economic status, I have plenty of time to devote to this blog and ponder.  The following is one of those times that I reflect upon, as one of my greatest and most gratifying experiences.
I wanted to get into medical sales in hopes of representing products that made a difference in helping someone, no matter what the product may have been.  I was lucky enough to accomplish that.  To me, it was never the money to be achieved, as much as the difference a product might make in the healthcare of an individual.  The money just came with the belief I had in a product.  It always helped that it was cost effective.
Li’l Jake is one of the greatest success stories in my years of medical sales.  He was born in a major hospital of Wichita, KS with cystic fibrosis.  He spent his first two years of life in the hospital, never getting to see the outside world, and the majority of the time on a ventilator. 
I became aware of Jake through a respiratory therapist that worked at the hospital home healthcare agency and was involved in his transition from the hospital to his home.  She contacted me because I represented a unique ventilator that  Jake could tolerate better than any other.
The medical manufacturer I worked for had finally gotten the FDA approval for this unique ventilator to be used in the home care environment.  Once that had come through Jake had the opportunity to finally be able to go home after spending such a long time in a hospital setting. 
The respiratory therapist contacted me when Jake had gone home and informed me that it was the first time he had ever smiled.  She asked if I would be able to meet at the home to set up the device and train the parents on the ventilator’s settings and maintenance.  It was gratifying to see how happy the parents were and to see Jake smiling for myself.
This is just one of a few experiences that made my job and personal gratification worthwhile in this life.
God bless and God speed  with a special prayer for Li’l Jake
daveyenterprise@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment